Parsnips are quite possibly one of my favorite root vegetables. While they regularly stock market bins in California, Kansas is far less acquainted with this tender sweet tuber. To remedy the situation and ease my parsnip withdrawal, I decided to plant these in my community garden plot. With the threat of frost gone, I seeded the flat ovular seeds directly into the soil and put them to bed with a blanket of straw. Two to three weeks of watering and I began to see uniform green sprouts appear. At first I was unsure about the nature of these seedlings, but after a Google image search, my hopes were confirmed.... we've got parsnips! It may take them until the fall before they are ready, but the wait will be well worth it.
Thursday, May 10, 2012
We've Got Parsnips!
Parsnips are quite possibly one of my favorite root vegetables. While they regularly stock market bins in California, Kansas is far less acquainted with this tender sweet tuber. To remedy the situation and ease my parsnip withdrawal, I decided to plant these in my community garden plot. With the threat of frost gone, I seeded the flat ovular seeds directly into the soil and put them to bed with a blanket of straw. Two to three weeks of watering and I began to see uniform green sprouts appear. At first I was unsure about the nature of these seedlings, but after a Google image search, my hopes were confirmed.... we've got parsnips! It may take them until the fall before they are ready, but the wait will be well worth it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment